Principal Financial Group Foundation, Inc.
711 High Street
Des Moines, Iowa 50392
Type of foundation: Company-sponsored
Types of grants: Program, general operating, matching gifts. Capital support is limited mainly to organizations in Des Moines, Iowa.
Description: The Principal Financial Group is a financial services company, including retirement and investment services and life and health insurance.
The Foundation provides grants in the areas of:
- Health and human services: Grantmaking supports health care access for underserved populations, especially the elderly; wellness programs; public health outreach; disease prevention and awareness programs; substance abuse prevention and treatment; projects that help families build positive social networks and financial independence (including financial literacy); projects that promote independence for older adults; youth development.
- Education: Grantmaking supports higher education access; promoting study in actuarial science, business, information technology and finance.
- Arts and culture: Grantmaking supports promotion of the arts as a key component of viable communities, especially programs that celebrate cultural diversity and make the arts more accessible.
- Civic, community and environment: Grantmaking supports "quality of life organizations"; civic betterment programs that promote the vitality of communities; organizations that work to protect and enhance the environment.
The Foundation's "signature" project is The Principal Riverwalk: a $70 million dollar project revitalizing the downtown Des Moines riverfront.
- $25,000 to Iowa Public Radio (2007).
- $10,000 to Iowa Public Television (2008); the Foundation has given $10,000-$15,000 annually for several years.
- $10,000 to Iowa Public Radio (2006).
Fit for public broadcasting: The Foundation supports public media in its target region.
Eligibility: Grants are available to organizations serving:
- Des Moines, IA.
- Appleton, WI.
- Cedar Falls, IA.
- Grand Island, NE.
- Mason City, IA.
- Ottumwa, IA.
- Pella, IA.
- Spokane, WA.
- Wilmington, DE.
The Foundation does not support:
- Capital fund drives for hospitals or health care facilities.
- Conference or seminar attendance.
- Courtesy or goodwill advertising in benefit publications.
- Endowments or memorials.
Deadline: Grant application deadlines are based on the applicant organization's location and area of focus.
Organizations outside of Des Moines, IA should submit all applications by June 1.
Organizations in Des Moines have deadlines as follows:
- Health & Human Services: March 1.
- Education: June 1.
- Arts & Culture: September 1.
- Civic, Community & Environment: December 1.
How to apply: Organizations should download and complete the grant application form. This should be sent with a cover letter and proposal. Documents cannot be submitted electronically; they must be sent by U.S. mail to the appropriate address.
Organizations should apply for funding in the grant category that most closely aligns with the mission of the organization, not of the proposed project. Only one grant request will be accepted per organization per calendar year for general operating support or program support. Requests for capital support are considered independent of annual support and require a separate application.
Giving range: Grants range as high as $1,000,000. Most are below $50,000.
Assets: $36,064,541 (2008)
Total giving: $7,018,578 (2008)