R. Harold Burton Foundation
P.O. Box 58477
Salt Lake City, UT 84158
Contact: Richard G. Horne, Executive Director
Type of foundation: Independent foundation
Types of grants: Annual, building/renovation, emergency funds, equipment, fellowships, matching/challenge support, program, research, scholarships.
Description: The R. Harold Burton Foundation, founded in 1987, supports education, science, literary and health projects in the greater Salt Lake Metropolitan area. Giving is primarily for education, science, literacy and health.
- $25,000 to KUED-Channel 7, Salt Lake City, UT for general support (2006).
- $25,000 to University of Utah, Department of Communications, Salt Lake City, UT for general support (2006).
- $10,000 to KUER Public Radio, Salt Lake City, UT for general support (2006).
- $10,000 to Spy Hop Productions, Salt Lake City, UT for general support for a not-for-profit youth media arts and education center whose purpose is to empower youth using film, radio/television and the Internet (2006).
- $3,000 to Salt Lake City Film Center and Artists Collaborative, Salt Lake City, UT for general support (2006).
Fit for public broadcasting: The Foundation has made multiple gifts for public media in the Salt Lake City area. The Foundation has made six grants for radio/television/media projects over the past five years, totaling $83,000.
Eligibility: Giving primarily in the greater Salt Lake metropolitan area. No grants for overhead expenses or endowments.
Deadline: February and June.
How to apply: Submission dates, guidelines and instructions are online. Applicants can download a grant application here. After submitting an application, organizations should call the Foundation to schedule a meeting to discuss their request.
Giving range: The average gift for radio/television/media is approximately $15,000. The Foundation has made gifts as high as $387,910.
Assets: $19,167,881 (2008)
Total giving: $1,403,345 (2008)