Windgate Charitable Foundation
P.O. Box 826
Siloam Springs, AR 72761
Type of foundation: Independent
Types of grants: Project, conferences, capital (renovation, equipment), challenge grants
Description: The Windgate Charitable Foundation supports programs focused on strengthening marriage and healthy relationships, serving children and providing Christian higher education. The Foundation also supports programs focused on arts and crafts, as well as on art history. The Foundation provides significant support to John Brown University for scholarships, faculty positions and challenge grants. The Foundation makes grants in Arkansas and nationally, preferencing the central portion of the country.
- $400,000 to San Francisco Museum of Craft and Design in operating support and a challenge grant (2009).
- $130,775 to Northern Clay Center (Minneapolis, MN) for exhibitions and an endowment challenge (2009).
- $100,000 to Blue Ridge Community College in a discretionary grant for the Southern Artist Video Project (2007).
- $84,639 to Peters Valley Craft Center for studio equipment (wood, ceramics, blacksmithing) (2007).
- $62,000 to Heart at Home for television production (2007).
- $20,000 to Moravian Academy (Bethlehem, PA) for woodworking equipment (2007).
Fit for public broadcasting: There is not much evidence of media funding, but this may be a prospect for public media, especially for programming related to American crafts.
Eligibility: The board strongly prefers program support over capital funds. No grants are made for undesignated annual fund gifts, debt retirement, group travel for performance or competition, completed projects, private religious schools or to individuals. The foundation prefers projects of its own initiative, rather than funding unsolicited grants. Priority will also be given to matching fund requests.
How to apply: Interested applicants should first write or call the Foundation office before submitting a full application.
Giving range: $2,500 – $2,000,000. Most grants are under $100,000.
Assets: $58,019,043 (2008)
Total giving: $9,463,986 (2008)
This Grant Center profile is a synopsis of the foundation and its giving, based on currently available information. It is not intended to be a comprehensive source. Be sure to consult the foundation website for additional information.