Martha Speaks Reading Buddies
Grant: Martha Speaks Reading Buddies
Deadline: November 18, 2011
Description: As they launch the fourth season of Martha Speaks, WGBH is announcing a national rollout of the Martha Speaks Reading Buddies program. The Martha Speaks Reading Buddies program pairs kindergarten students with fourth- or fifth-graders to meet one-on-one for a series of 45-minute activity sessions. The buddy pairs share books, talk and do activities while learning and using new vocabulary words.
WGBH is expanding the program materials to include two new buddy sessions, each featuring an engaging children's book, Martha Speaks episode, activities and more. They are also developing a special document with strategies for using reading buddies with English language learners. To help support stations in establishing reading buddies programs in local schools, WGBH will offer up to 25 station grants of $4,000 each.
Half of each station grant will be in the form of a credit with First Book, for the purchase of books. The remaining $2,000 can be used by stations to offset local costs, including supplies, photocopying, refreshments, etc.
Stations that are selected must:
- Identify schools and classrooms to participate in the program between January and June 2012. Each station must establish a minimum of two sets of reading buddies classrooms.
- Hold an orientation for participating teachers.
- Purchase books for the participating classrooms.
- Ensure that classrooms have access to the Martha Speaks Reading Buddies materials.
- Distribute give-away items (e.g., stickers, pencils and magnets), provided by WGBH, to participating schools.
- Document reading buddies activities and send them to WGBH.
- Support schools in implementing the Martha Speaks Reading Buddies program.
- Complete a final reporting form.
Stations will be chosen based on the income demographics of target schools, geographic distribution of the grantees and confirmation of school administration support for the project.
Fit for Public Broadcasting: This program is designed for public television stations.
Eligibility: All public television stations are eligible.
Anticipated funding: Up to 25 public television stations will be selected, and each station will receive a $4,000 grant. Awardees will be announced by December 9, 2011. The grant period will be from January 1 to June 30, 2012.
How to apply: Applications must be emailed or faxed, by 5:00 p.m. EST, on November 18, 2011, to Anna Hohos at WGBH.